Thanksgiving is one of TCR’s top 5 holidays. You may wonder what the other 4 are or how our Houston machine shop can go from machining high precision parts one hour to having a proper Thanksgiving celebration the next. Keep reading and we’ll tell you how a real machine shop celebrates Thanksgiving and share with you one of our special Thanksgiving recipes.
Dinner With Family
Thanksgiving is a day where families gather together to give thanks and hopefully enjoy some wonderful food. But if you're a machinist, you’re used to working long hours and having to miss a holiday or two.
At TCR we’re our own family. We look out for each other, share knowledge and sometimes act like brothers and sisters. Since we’re a family, it’s tradition for us to put work on hold and do the holiday right.
Our Thanksgiving Recipe
We like to do it a little different at our shop. Instead of the normal turkey and trimmings, we make something called TCR chili. For those that like venison, the recipe is simple.
- 3lbs of venison (cut into cubes)... Traditional bow hunters may substitute with a lean beef!
- 3 spoons of chili powder
- 1 can of beef stock
- ⅓ cup of diced garlic
- 1 cup of diced yellow onion
- 2 spoons of ground cumin
- 1 spoon of ground oregano
- 2 spoons of salt
- ½ cup of paprika
- 3 pinches of ground cilantro
- ½ can of tomato paste
- One spoon flour
- 3 cooked green chilies
- Fry the venison in grease until the pink is gone
- Put venison into a large pot and add chili powder
- Set to simmer and add beef stock and enough water to cover the meat
- Bring to boil then simmer uncovered for 30 mins
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered until the meat is tender. Stirring occasionally
- Skim out the fat on the surface and simmer for an additional 30 mins.
- Serve with rice or saltines and enjoy
Food and Fellowship
When we make this deer chili on Thanksgiving and sit down as a family, we’re going to have a lot on our minds. We’re going to be thinking about all the people that have helped us get to the point we’re at now. Our awesome clients, our great leadership, our spouses, kids, mentors, and everyone that’s believed in us. And because we’re a machine shop, we’re probably going to be thinking about dessert too!
Happy Thanksgiving from the TCR family!
And if you make our chili, let us know how it turns out.